The 16-CE credit self-paced online learning program is located on a web-based learning management system called Sakai CLE hosted by the University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry. There are sixteen learning modules in total; each learning module contains a short description, a list of learning objects, the presentation and a self-assessment quiz. There is also a course tutorial located at the beginning of the course and a continuing education testing module at the end of the course.
This educational modular series consists of eight evidence based power point presentations designed to give the general practice resident a global view of dental treatment for people with special needs. The eight modules address the most important aspects of clinical medicine and dentistry required for treating a patient with special needs. Discussion of access and barriers to dental care, the need for special care dentistry in the pre and post doctoral dental curricula, along with assessment of the competency of participants are included in the modules. Upon the completion of the modules, the participant should have the knowledge to assess a patient with special needs. The modules are accompanied by "teacher's notes" which are visible in each slide presentation.
Module titles include:
- Treatment Modalities/Treatment Planning for Patients with Special Needs
- Introduction to Special Patient Care
- Special Care Dentistry: Legal and Ethical Issues
- Learning Disabilities Mental Retardation and Down Syndrome
- Neuromuscular Disorders Cerebral Palsy and Muscular Dystrophy
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- Oral Manifestations Genetic and Congenital Disorders
- Seizure Disorders